Learning & Development
Learning and development is about how we adapt to a changing environment. We investigate how the concepts of children and adults change and the mechanisms that underlie that change.
Our research is organised into three themes:
- How does imitation help us learn language?
- Why do children imitate others?
- What are the different ways in which we learn concepts?
- How does background knowledge help us to learn categories?
- How can basic ideas of association explain higher level cognitive abilities?
- What mechanisms do we use to learn contingencies between events?